When asked, “What do you do in your classrooms to cultivate an environment conducive to learning?” during new full-time faculty orientation, ICC new faculty said…
- Provide hands-on learning opportunities;
- Create a relaxed, friendly environment;
- Maintain a sense of humor;
- Be aware of varying student needs;
- Use group work to allow students to get to know, interact with each other;
- Demonstrate passion for the discipline;
- Use examples to relate content to ‘real life’;
- Use visuals;
- Build on students’ life experiences, making them an important part of the classroom experience.
How do YOU create a classroom environment conducive to learning?